logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Distinguishing cycleways from footways and minor paths

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Fri Feb 4 17:10:13 GMT 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 03:38:56PM +0100, Minko wrote:
>In the typ file you can't define what kind of road it is in the TYP file,
>if both roads are set to the same 0x07 type. So there you can only set the label
>to cycleway/service road and see what the navigation does.
>
>It's sad that the newer Garmin's only can display
>a very limited number of line types without a typ file, but there is another alternative:
>How about working with overlays?
>
>line style file:
>
>highway=cycleway [0x070d]
>highway=service [0x070e]
>
>overlay style file:
>
>0x070d: 0x07, 0x0d
>0x070e: 0x07, 0x0e
>
>Routing will be fine, because Garmin only uses 0x07
>Without a typ file, GPS unit and Mapsource show only 0x07 because 0x0d / 0x0e are invisible

Without a typ file, the Edge 705 ought to show a black line (0x0d or
0x0e) overlaid with the dashed brown line (0x07).

>If you are working WITH a typ file and the default style, this option
>does offer the possibility to
>set a label or colour to 0x0d and 0x0e

Yes, that would make sense when using a TYP file.

>Speaking of invisble lines, this is also working for bridges:
>
>(bridge=yes | bridge=true | bridge=viaduct)  [0x2b resolution 23 continue with_actions]
>
>Without a typ file, bridges are not visible, just the highway.
>With a typ file, type 0x2b can be made visible with the highway.

I got another idea: What if we create a default-typ style based on the
default style, similar to the marine style? It would define overlays for
bridges, tunnels, oneways and such. The prerequisite for this would be a
TYP file that can be distributed with mkgmap (with an appropriate
license and some maintainer). The default-typ style would only contain
the tweaks; most definitions would still be in the default style.

Best regards,

	Marko