logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Distinguishing cycleways from footways and minor paths

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Fri Feb 4 13:40:37 GMT 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 10:05:25AM +0100, Minko wrote:
>Maybe if you put a default_name on them (default_name=service)
>you can read from the label what kind of road it is.

Adding the default_name bloats my gmapsupp.img of Finland by about 70k
and the zip compressed gmapsupp.img by about 80k.

I would use default_name sparingly in the default style, because it is
not a localized string. A better alternative to default_name would be to
omit the default_name and define the default name for the line type in
the TYP file, for every language supported by Garmin.

I think that it should suffice that the access flags prevent motor
vehicles from those 0x07 that are cycleways. Usually highway=service are
short, and only used as the very first or last leg of the route.

>Type 0x07 is actually a pretty good one because it's a thinner solid
>line than the residential streets but it is not dashed like paths and
>footways.

On the Edge 705, 0x07 and 0x16 look identical, but they are
distinguished in the navigation instructions: alley vs. trail.

Best regards,

	Marko