logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Distinguishing cycleways from footways and minor paths

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Feb 3 11:29:52 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 09:59:14AM +0100, Minko wrote:
>Advantage of the mapnik.typ is that it looks like the 'default' osm map.

I think that I would find Mapnik too low contrast on the small screen.
The paleness is useful for overlays, such as www.latukartta.fi (Nordic
skiing tracks overlayed on SlippyMap tiles).

>Have you got an example of another Typ file that looks good on the
>older units?

No. Until there are open source tools for creating TYP files, I try to
avoid depending on them.

>0x0d on a nuvi and a Dakota: without a typ file they are thin white
>lines with "line" as label. On a white/grey background almost
>invisible. :-( On a nuvi 0x16 are thin grey lines. On a Dakota it's a
>thicker, grey dashed line, same as unpaved roads.

On QLandkarteGT, 0xd..0x14 are totally invisible. This confirms that it
would not be wise to use them without a TYP file.

I think that the default style must be useable without a TYP file. A TYP
file can of course enhance the experience, so to say. :-)

I got another idea: promote cycleways to 0x07 (alley), currently used by
highway=service. On the Edge 705 it looks identical (brown dashed line)
to 0x16, but the default label (shown in navigation instructions and
when hovering the cursor over a way) would distinguish cycleways from
footways and paths. QLandkarteGT distinguishes these by colour: 0x07 is
a brown solid line and 0x16 is gray. Other devices than the Edge 705
might distinguish these too.

What do you think about the attached patch that moves highway=pedestrian
from 0x06 to 0x16 and highway=cycleway and some bicycle=designated ways
from 0x16 to 0x07? 0x07 was previously only used by highway=service and
similar.

If I get no objections in a few days, I will commit this.

	Marko