logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to fix amenity=shelter in the default style?

From Martin Simon grenzdebil at gmail.com on Tue Feb 1 14:41:50 GMT 2011

2011/1/31 Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi>:

> If nobody can suggest a better symbol for amenity=shelter, I would
> remove amenity=shelter altogether from the default style. There seems to
> be some agreement that amenity=shelter may be too inaccurate tagging for
> the tourism or hiking related shelters.

I have to disagree; amenity=shelter was meant to be hiking and tourism
related from the start.
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Shelter)

> Side note: the unsearchable 0x6412 'hiker symbol' could be a good choice
> for some minor hiking feature. I think that sites where overnighting is
> possible do require a searchable symbol.

While I think it's good to distinguish simple structures like shelters
from fully equipped overnighting places, it would be cool if shelters
were searchable, so you can do a search for the nearest shelter when
weather turns bad...

-Martin