logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Wondering about mkgmap usage.

From maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com on Tue Feb 1 08:54:28 GMT 2011

Dear Marco,

Typ files allow you to customize the look of your map.  Think of it as
different cartographic design in the main OSM map (mapnik, osmarender,
cyclemaps).  Many mkgmap users use different typ files depending on
the map purpose (road, cycling hiking, etc).

A good howto and explanation here:
http://www.cferrero.net/maps/guide_to_TYPs.html

If no typ file is included in the mkgmap parameters.  It will default
on garmin's map design.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM, dom <dom at team-oid.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using mkgmap since a while and it works great. Good work and thanks
> to all of the developer.
> I know how many time you are investing into it and how many time such a
> OS project needs to care about.
>
> So my question is. I already have seen that some of the map compilers
> are calling the mkgmap with the typ file at the end.
> For example: java .. -jar mkgmap.jar [option] typfile.typ
> I also tried it and I found no advantage or difference to a call without
> the typ file?
> What is the reason for this? I also didn't find any doc for this.
>
> Thanks,
> Marco

cheers,
maning