logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to fix amenity=shelter in the default style?

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Tue Feb 1 06:30:54 GMT 2011

Marko Mäkelä (marko.makela at iki.fi) wrote:

> Last week, I changed the POI type for amenity=shelter in the default
> style from 0x2b05 (bed icon) to 0x6402 (an icon of a building block).
> Even though I later changed the resolution to 24, this symbol (along
> with grave yard symbols) seems to be visible from much greater distance
> than shops or anything else. I tried with two different map detail
> levels on my Edge 705.
>
> So, it looks like the 0x6402 is meant for skyscrapers and the like.
> Next try is with 0x6412. Same problem: at normal detail level, it shows
> at 120m zoom while shops and the like start to appear at 50m. At the
> highest detail level, shops appear at 120m and 0x6412 appears at 500m.
>
> Can anyone suggest a more suitable symbol for amenity=shelter? It does
> not need to be searchable, and it should not be any more 'visible' than,
> say, 0x2f17 (transit service; used by highway=bus_stop).
>
> The 'problem' at hand are two shelters on a railway station platform. I
> do not want them to be more visible on the map than the shops and other
> features in the town centre. Here are the nodes:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/439195020
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/439195021
>
> If nobody can suggest a better symbol for amenity=shelter, I would
> remove amenity=shelter altogether from the default style. There seems to
> be some agreement that amenity=shelter may be too inaccurate tagging for
> the tourism or hiking related shelters.
>
> Side note: the unsearchable 0x6412 'hiker symbol' could be a good choice
> for some minor hiking feature. I think that sites where overnighting is
> possible do require a searchable symbol.
>
> Best regards,
>
> 	Marko
Hi Marko,

The mysteries of the zoom-behaviour of default Garmin objects is a
scary subject.  :)

The 0x64 series are man made geographical POIs.  I think Garmin
intends this series to be used for navigational purposes (i.e. there's
a huge building/dam/oil field over there, I'll use it to triangulate
my location).  This is probably why they appear even when zoomed out.

I think you're starting to push the limits of what is practical using
the default Garmin objects (i.e. without the use of a TYP file) and a
default style that is suitable for all uses (hiking, cycling, driving,
tourism etc).

Have you tried one of the "out-of-bounds" codes around the 0x2b area?
Maybe 0x2b06 or 0x2b07 (tent icon) or 0x2b08 to 0x2b1f (green/white
bed)?

--
Charlie