logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to solve/debug weird problem

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Fri Jan 21 19:32:41 GMT 2011

Hi Johannes,

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:25:27PM +0100, Johannes Formann wrote:
>> --add-pois-to-areas --adjust-turn-headings --drive-on-right
>> --check-roundabouts --remove-short-arcs=3.3 --net --route --gmapsupp
>> --tdbfile --index M0001736.TYP
>>
>> You might try removing all of them first. If it does not crash, add
>> --route (which should imply --net).
>
>Starting without those options
>java -Xms256m -Xmx2560m -ea -jar mkgmap.jar --max-jobs=1 --latin1
>--code-page=1252 -c /home/osm/build/template.args

It's great that it crashes even without --route. I think that you should
put back the --remove-short-arcs=3.3, so that you will get rid of the
'zero length arc' warnings, maybe except the ones about splitting looped
ways.

Now, what if you use a template.args where you remove all files after
the problematic tile? Try to find out which tile it is. Your sample
output mentions two different tile files around the crash: 59420055 and
59420066. If you cannot modify the assertion message to display the file
name, you can use 'binary search' on the template.args file, removing
half the tiles until it no longer crashes.

Let me illustrate. Let's say you have tiles 59420001 through 59420100.
First, remove all tiles between 59420001 and 59420050 in the
template.args. If it still crashes, then try removing half of the
remaining stuff: 59420075 through 59420100. If it does not crash, undo
the last step and remove the other half, or remove a quarter, until you
finally get a crash again. At the end, you should have a minimal input
that reproduces the crash.

By the way, which mkgmap version are you using?

Unrelated to this mkgmap bug (or insufficient diagnostics), is there a
reason why you are still using the osm.bz2 input? The osm.pbf is more
compact and can be split quicker.

Best regards,

	Marko