logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Index: MDR12 breaking POI search

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Jan 19 21:56:52 GMT 2011

My 2 cents (sorry, I cannot invest much time in this very important
development):

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:42:28PM +0100, WanMil wrote:
>> Just found at
>> http://pkmaps.freeforums.org/to-enable-find-search-address-option-for-maps-in-gpsmapedit-t61.html
>>

>> "Note: Always use UPPER CASE for defining Country, Region, City etc
>> because many Garmin devices can only allow users to text in alphabets
>> in Upper Case."
>>
>> Maybe you should modify your patch to only allow upper case letters.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Johann
>
>That might be a good hint but I think Steve already does this in the
>MDR creation process?!

Right, by default mkgmap should convert names to upper case, because old
devices (such as my Edge 705) display lower-case letters as ? in the
vector font (road names).

>The patch must allow lower case letters. Otherwise all highway=primary
>will become highway=PRIMARY and all styles are no longer working...

If I were you, I would leave the OSM reader alone and instead
double-check that all names, labels, identifiers and such will be
encoded properly in the Garmin domain. Everything should go through the
code-page translation (UTF-8 to the selected code page). Tweak the
translation code so that it maps everything to A-Z. Yes, zap even
spaces, numbers and punctuation, as we do not know the collation rules
(is it numbers before or after letters; are spaces or punctuation
ignored in the collation, etc). We can probably assume that A<B<C<...<Z.

	Marko