logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Amenity=shelter

From Peter Hendricks beddhist at gmail.com on Sat Jan 15 11:12:20 GMT 2011

Hi again,

Thanks for your response.

On 5/01/2011 04:38, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 07:47:21AM +1300, Peter Hendricks wrote:
>> I see where this is coming from. The problem is that there are other
>> shelters, like roadside shelters that have nothing to do with buses.
>> Like this one:
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/80909803
>>
>> It's a lay-by with gas, food, etc. and there is a shelter from sun and
>> rain. Nothing to do with mountains or hiking. Perhaps this needs to be
>> tagged differently, but in any case, even a mountain shelter shouldn't
>> show up on the map as a campground. Perhaps 0x6402 building would be
>> more appropriate? Label=shelter as well?
>
> What about tourism=picnic_site, fireplace=yes, covered=yes? The default
> style already translates it into 0x4a00.

I don't know what to say to this. I didn't create the node, or indeed
the whole rest area. Thailand is full of roadside shelters, usually
quaint wooden constructions and I can see how anybody who wants to tag
one would use shelter, as there is no other obvious choice, certainly
not in JOSM.

> I saw some tourism=lean_to when fixing a multipolygon issue in a natural

tourism= is not an obvious choice, as most shelters have nothing to do
with tourism. Also, a lean-to is something attached to another building,
as the name suggests.

In any case, amenity=shelter in the img file becomes "Unknown type
(0x2b05, point)" in GPSMapEdit. Why in the map this becomes a camp
ground is beyond me, but it's a bug.

>> Incidentally, the area highway=services on the GPS map turns into a POI
>> "Exit Unknown" with an interesting properties page. Check it out @
>> N14.85751 E100.09283
>
> This is probably because you are using add-pois-to-areas. The default

I think you are correct here (Lambertus certainly does), although the
POI should be something more intelligent.

Kind regards,
Peter.