logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] rendering roundabouts

From Minko ligfietser at online.nl on Sat Dec 4 12:39:47 GMT 2010

Roundabouts with nodes >8m from each other are rendered fine.
But if the nodes are closer to each other mkgmap doesn't seem to translate them very well to the lower resulution of the Garmin grid.
This not only happens to roads but other elements as well, even straight lines are converted into jagged structures (if the nodes are very close).

See for instance the buildings and lakes on this map (my Openfietsmap):
http://picasaweb.google.com/101124410619265439590/Openfietsmap#5546803050381040146

Here a screenshot of Merkaartor:
http://picasaweb.google.com/101124410619265439590/Openfietsmap#5546803053933176658

Here is the link to the osm map:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.189706&lon=5.400034&zoom=18&layers=M

The mkgmap settings that I use are shown here:
http://mijndev.openstreetmap.nl/~ligfietser/openfietsmap/Scripts/osm_bnl.args

"WanMil" wrote:

Once again:
Garmin coordinates have a much lower resolution than OSM coordinates.
The roundabout is quite small (~25m), so I do not wonder if this
roundabout will not be as round as you might expect.

Do you know another roundabout with the same dimension that is rendered
as you expect?

WanMil