logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitter question

From Danny Backx danny.backx at scarlet.be on Sun Nov 21 19:04:23 GMT 2010

I've taken some time and played with the suggestions given.

I'm including two scripts. One (doit.nl) is a sample script to split the
OSM file for the Netherlands into manageable pieces, and then to convert
the OSM files into RoadMap format. This mostly works :
- I get 339 map files
- 9 maps turn out to be too big still for RoadMap

So I created another script (deeper.nl, used in a subdirectory, you'll
notice that in the script) that'll take the files I put in the
subdirectory, and divide them in four smaller chunks.

I used deeper.nl and still had problems with 3 of the smaller chunks so
I reran deeper.nl one more time, producing maps that were (again) four
times smaller than the offending OSM files.

This worked. So the 8GB netherlands.osm file got converted into some 380
RoadMap map files, totalling about 1.6GB.

I realize that I'm working around something splitter is leaving
unsolved, and I'm partially automating this, my question is whether all
this is a good idea.

	Danny

--
Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info