logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] TYP file for default mgkmap

From Minko ligfietser at online.nl on Sun Nov 14 11:07:07 GMT 2010

I wonder if anyone has a TYP file available for the default mkgmap styles.
If i download the world osm routbale map from Lambertus' site at http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php
the colours and symbols in Mapsource are not displayed very well (horizontal brown stripes representing forest, yuck!)

I know this could be represented a lot better with a simple TYP file (Garmin uses nowadays also Typ files for the city navigator etc)
and since the routable garmin osm maps will be of the killer apps of the osm community is there a TYP file out there that could be implemented in the standard mkgmap?

To give an example, I put two images on http://sites.google.com/site/openfietsmap/osm-1
The first one is the default mkgmap of a region in the Netherlands, the second one my openfietsmap with a modified mkgmap style and TYP file.

On osm there are more such styles, like the mapnik version which look very pretty:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Petrovsk/FR:My_Garmin_map_styles
http://blog.lionelmaraval.fr/post/2010/01/23/Carte-pseudo-mapnik-pour-Garmin

So any ideas to improve the layout of the mkgmap styles with a typ file would be recommended.

Cheers,
Minko