logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Sea generation

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Fri Nov 5 17:14:19 GMT 2010

Thanks for all feedback! That's great!

Looking at the discussion I think the idea of an extra coastline file
has the highest priority.
I think the implementation will mostly follow the suggestions of
Apollinaris Schoell:
- coastline input file(s) will have OSM format
- natural=coastline tag will be removed from all other tile data
- the coastline data is processed by the current sea generation
algorithms using the multipolygon algorithm
- for each tile the resulting big multipolygon is clipped to the tile
borders and added to the tile data

Using this algorithm it should be possible to have multiple coastline
input files (e.g. one for the Mediterranean Sea, one for Atlantic Ocean
etc.) The only condition is that the coastline files define complete
polygons. So the Mediterranean Sea file would have to add a coastline
tag crossing the Strait of Gibraltar. The polygons itself might consist
of multiple ways as it is used in the original OSM data. The sea
generation algorithm connects them to polygons.

Some add ons maybe implemented later:
- shp support for input (is that needed? better preprocessing?)
- mp algorithm with land polygon
- comparation between the coastline input files and the OSM tiles with
automatic adaption of changes that doesn't flood the tile

Please let me know if you have some additional ideas for this and the
sea generation in general.

Have fun!
WanMil