logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Feature request: accept osm data from stdin

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Nov 2 12:50:33 GMT 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 08:11:41AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>True, but it would be nice for mkgmap to read from stdin anyway, since
>the notion of stdin being available as a file is non-portable - I'm
>pretty sure POSIX does not specify it.

Sure. Patches are of course welcome. I just wanted to provide a
pragmatic solution.

I seem to remember that on Microsoft operating systems, stdin and stdout
are 'text mode' by default and have to be set binary by some special
call, so that the CR and LF bytes will be passed through intact. Is this
an issue with Java? Can splitter read osm.pbf from the standard input on
Microsoft operating systems?

For what it is worth, there does not seem to be a /dev/stdin equivalent
on Microsoft operating systems. CON, CONIN$ and CONOUT$ are roughly
equivalent to /dev/console.

Best regards,

	Marko