logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] RFE --merge-lines only from resolution X

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Nov 1 08:24:38 GMT 2010

On 31.10.2010 23:44, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> On 31/10/10 07:33, Felix Hartmann wrote:
>> Currently the --merge-lines works in all resolutions. However in
>> resolution 24 and 22 there is not much speed improvement on the GPS, but
> It works at resolutions less than 24.
> So it would be expected that it makes no difference at resolution 24.
It currently works at all resolutions. However at 24 and 22 I could not
note any speed difference on GPS (Vista HCx, which has a rather slow
processor, on Dakota or other "new" units I would expect the difference
to be noticeable even at lower resolutions)
>> it's quite annoying that the information pop up on hoover shows in the
>> wrong place. It would be great if one could specify the first resolution
>> from which the --merge-lines is actually used. I think 21 or 20 down,
>> would be best, but setting it via the commandline or "options" file
> It looks to be easy to do that, but isn't it likely that something is
> wrong with it?  Why are the labels in the wrong place?
Labels and, and that is more important the tooltips show up at completly
wrong places. And if you drag the map in Mapsource, you're not dragging
from the point of departure, but the place where the tooltip showed up
wrongly, so when you pan the map jumps really weird sometimes (you don't
end up where you wanted to, but somewhere else).

I'm not sure how the code works currently, but ideally it should be
working on every resolution separately. For example while at resolution
21-24 I add the name of bicycle, or mtb routes to the name of the
street, I don't do this for 21-18 - hence more parts of the same road
can be merged - and hence more speed increase. Also the tooltip problem
is less apparent on 21 or 20 because the distance in meters it shows up
wrong stays consistent - so it is much on screen fewer pixels.

Also on the GPS the tooltip shows wrong, and here it's even worse, cause
it might be outside of the display.

Therefore (and as it's advantages only become apparent once you are in
low resolutions) - I would like to have it working from 16-20 or 16-21
(would have to test this on the field), but definitely not in resolution
22 and 24.