logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Different routing results using osm vs osm.pbf

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Wed Oct 20 16:15:36 BST 2010

> I have repeated the test with today's portugal osm and pbf files from
> geofabrik and these are the results:
> -Calculated routes are the same with or without --preserve-element-order
> for each osm pair and pbf pair.
> -2 of 3 tested routes are worse with the pbf generated map.
> -pbf generated map is slightly smaller than osm one (11.3 vs 11.4 MB),
> so it seems that some information may be missing in the pbf map.

What version of mkgmap was this with?
I have made a change today that ensures that the output no longer
depends on --preserve-element-order, for identical input files.

Here is what I get with the following files and with mkgmap-r1719:

I downloaded the two files:
	portugal.osm.pbf (dated 20-Oct-2010 07:17)
	portugal.osm.bz2 (dated 20-Oct-2010 11:21)

from geofabrik and after converting the pbf to the .osm
I verified that they were the same.  The only difference was the
generator and origin attributes due to differing version of osmosis.

I then converted each file with mkgmap --route --remove-short-arcs
The resulting maps were the same apart from the timestamps.

Could you post the exact command line you were using?  I assume that
any difference must be down to one of the other options.

..Steve