logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Different routing results using osm vs osm.pbf

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Wed Oct 20 11:22:13 BST 2010

On 20/10/10 11:04, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> Are the .osm.bz2 and .osm.pbf files identical to begin with? Today,
> Geofabrik offers files with quite different timestamps:
>
> portugal.osm.bz2	20-Oct-2010 00:20 	 13M
> portugal.osm.pbf	20-Oct-2010 07:17 	7.1M

I can't speak for the equivalence of the geofabrik extracts, but for
my recent test I downloaded the pbf and used osmosis to convert
between the formats.

You can use:

   osmosis --read-pbf foo.osm.pbf --write-xml foo.osm.gz
   osmosis --read-xml foo.osm.gz --write-pbf foo.osm.pbf

I also do not doubt that the produced maps contain the same elements,
its just that they are in a different order depending on the input file.

Since my previous message I have discovered one reason why this might be
so, but there is still more reasons to be found.