logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Different routing results using osm vs osm.pbf

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Tue Oct 19 21:06:08 BST 2010

On 19/10/10 15:58, Carlos Dávila wrote:
> Yesterday I tested pbf input for mkgmap for the first time. Map was
> built apparently without errors, but using the resulting map on
> MapSource I get a suboptimal route, compared with the one I get using
> osm as input. I used portugal.osm and portugal.osm.pbf from geofabrik
> for the test. Today geofabrik is offering corrupt excerpts, so I can't
> make further tests by now.

That is interesting.

If the .osm and .osm.pbf contain the same data then mkgmap should
produce exactly the same map in both cases ignoring timestamps
if you add --preserve-element-order in both cases.
In the cases I tested this was true.

If it doesn't then it is a bug.

Now the fact that if you don't have --preserve-element-order there
could be differences in the order of the elements within the maps
and I suppose that it could affect the routing.  If so that would be
very interesting and might lead to improvements in routing in general.

..Steve