logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] area too small to split - what does it mean?

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Thu Oct 14 22:37:19 BST 2010

On 14/10/10 12:03, NopMap wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am getting the error message "area too small to split" when running
> mkgmap. What does this mean?

It tries to split the area into subdivisions, such that there are less
than certain number of points, for example, in each one.

This might not be possible, for example if there are lots of points in
the same place.  So it eventually gives up and prints that message.

Usually there will be no obvious problem with the resulting map but
there may be problems due to exceeding the limits.  Its all a bit
uncertain since we don't know exactly what the limits are.

Or it could just be a bug, there have been a few in the past, but less
likely now.

..Steve