logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Latest List of OSM to GarminIDs

From Charlie Ferrero charlie at cferrero.net on Wed Oct 13 05:13:30 BST 2010

Sam Vekemans wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm hoping that im being of some help here :)
>
> For those who might not know, im taking on the challenge of trying to
> organize all of the Map Features into a universal system.
> I'm calling it 'SchemaTroll 2.01'
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/SchemaTroll_2.01
>
> I have now completed an analysis of the Garmin Map Features, and
> created a spreadsheet which lists it all.
>
> I used
> http://freegeographytools.com/2008/garmin-gps-unit-waypoint-icons-table
> - for the icons and feature categories
> the mkgmap .csv file from the 'mkgmap-r1709-src'  and cross-referenced
> the big list of Map features, with the smaller list of OSM tags that
> it supports.
> http://www.geopainting.com/en/ - GPSMapEdit provides a nice detailed
> category listing for each map feature. .. and in it's 0x#### form.
> So it was easy to match-up the GarminID's with the mkgmap ID's ... as
> some where switched around.
> http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/mapLegend.html - has a
> detailed list of all the map features that gets supported (for
> MapSource)
>
> I also included 2 columns for 'SchemaTroll KEY' and SchemaTroll Value'
>  these are where i simply went through it and guessed as to what the
> tags could possibly be in the future.
>
> For the OSM Map Features, there are a few (a whole lot) of Tag
> Proposals that need to be made.  So i'm leaving that upto the Wikians
> to fix up the wiki.   I'm just trying to help it along.
>

> Ideally, it would be great to see an OSM tag for each of the Garmin
> Map Features, as the map can actually support the customized map, of
> upto 700 or so features.
> I noticed that many features are duplicated across different Garmin
> ID's and Many Garmin ID's support multiple OSM tags.
>
> So basically, im trying to get the whole chart filled in, with the
> best known map features, and using the Wiki as the primary source.
> And over on my version of the Spreadsheet, im keeping a list of
> Features that need to be proposed, and updating my own spreadsheet.
> Which i hope to make available in the next month or so.  (it's going
> through so many changes) :)
>
> For those who know how to use Gitorious I just converted the file to
> .csv and Pushed the latest changes
> http://gitorious.org/wikimap-books/wikimap-books-legend
>
> and here's the GoogleDocs Chart
>
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Am70fsptsPF2dGdSaEwwTUx5eGtzSFdPbmZPQlpBTEE&hl=en
>
> Hopefully someone will find some use for it :)
>
> Cheers,
> Sam
>
> P.S How often does the osm map features .csv file get updated?
>
> ---
> Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
> Victoria, BC Canada

Hi Sam,

For mkgmap purposes, the map_features.csv file is deprecated. As I
understand it (this was before I started using mkgmap) it was initially
a reference for helping mkgmap to convert OSM objects to Garmin types.
But now this conversion is done via the style rule system, so you will
find that many more OSM objects are mapped to Garmin types than is
apparent just from the map_features.csv file.

To understand the current "mapping" of OSM features, have a read through
the various style files in the default directory of the SVN:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/svn/wsvn/mkgmap/resources/styles/default/

You'll probably be most interested in the lines, points, polygons and
relations files.

Taking an example 0x6612 which you say is not supported by mkgmap.  If
you open the points style file you'll see that there is in fact a rule
to use this type:
leisure=nature_reserve & name=* [0x6612 resolution 18]

Another thing to look at if you're interested in Garmin POI types is the
spreadsheet I put together a while back:
http://www.cferrero.net/maps/downloads/garmin_feature_list.xls
This is a work in progress and it's still not entirely complete.

Finally, beware that
http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/mapLegend.html is not
entirely complete nor correct as I don't think they have updated this
for a while and the POIs supported by MapSource seem to change with
every new version.

Finally finally, of great importance to Garmin GPS users is the ability
to search for particular POI types.  Not all the Garmin type codes are
searchable - it is important when considering the conversion of OSM
objects to Garmin types whether you want the resulting POI to be
searchable on the GPS unit, and if so, what category you want it to
appear in.  Your spreadsheet would be even more useful if it showed
whether a Garmin type was searchable and if so, what category it appears
in.  You can use my spreadsheet for this.

Finally finally finally (!) - what is column O?  It looks like the zoom
level mapping for Garmin POIs.  If so, then this information isn't that
useful as it's arbitrary (though carefully selected).

Charlie