logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] some questions about splitter and europe extract

From Minko ligfietser at online.nl on Sat Oct 9 09:27:10 BST 2010

Hi,

In order to process my routable cyclemap of the Benelux countries [1], I have to split the osm europe extract from geofabrik into 45 tiles [2].
I noticed last month that the time needed to split the europe file considerably slowed down from 2hours processing time beginning september
to 7 hours (!) from yesterdays extract. Last week it took 5 hours. I also noticed that geofabrik is recently producing the extracts in another format (protobuf binary format), the osm.bz2 format comes available almost 12 hours later.

The arguments I use to split the europe file are:

java -Xmx1024m -jar splitter.jar --split-file=areas_europe.list --overlap=3000 europe.osm.bz2

Im using splitter v110 on a windows laptop (4mb internal memory)

Is there an explanation why the latest split runs are so slow? Could it be that the tiles in my areas.list are getting too big?
How can I extract the pbf format? Can I use it with the splitter?

Cheers,
Minko

[1] http://sites.google.com/site/openfietsmap
[2] http://mijndev.openstreetmap.nl/~ligfietser/openfietsmap/Scripts/areas_europe.list