logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Binary OSM file support?

From Scott Crosby scrosby at cs.rice.edu on Sun Sep 12 15:25:30 BST 2010

My internal repository has several independent development threads.
Only one of them is the binary format.  The other development threads
included patches that are already in and some have not been
benchmarked/tested thoroughly.

 * The binary format.
 * Improved double writing for XML output.
 * Alternate threading design.
 * Avoid sending each node to each osmwriter to do a bbox check.
(Depends on some of the binary format refactoring.)
 * too-many-areas. (already in)
 * Tag representation (partially in; not benchmarked)

Git knows which patch is in which thread.

The two critical ones for the binary format are the binary format
patches and the ULP patch in the double-writing thread.

The patches where I avoid sending each node to each OSM writer
improved the Big-O from O(n) to O(sqrt(n))), but the benchmarks seem
to be the identical performance. I think things are bottlenecked
updating the large shared arrays, which may also be why there's no
need to worry about the threading design making one thread per writer;
they're all idle waiting for the bottleneck to dribble out stuff to
write.

Scott