logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap.jar download possibility / license compatitibility

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sun Sep 5 15:12:33 BST 2010

On 02/09/10 21:13, Felix Hartmann wrote:
> As far as I understand, as soon as I offer mkgmap.jar to download
> somewhere, or include it somewhere, I have to host/supply the sourcecode
> too (forever - or whatever forever means), or am I wrong?

You certainly don't have to host it forever.  You only have to allow
people access to the source at the time they access the binary. If
they don't take the oportunity to download it they can't come back in
20 years and demand it then or anything like that.

> I have no problems putting a mkgmap.jar standalone file for the intended
> use (recreating address index / overview map for existing .img maps) on
> my own (sponsored) server - but cannot fully grasp what I have to do to
> achieve this. The mkgmap-latest download is not really nice, because it

There is no problem with extracting the jar file and hosting that.
Strictly speaking you should also put the mkgmap-latest-src.tar.gz
there as well or an archive of the actual source that was used to
build the jar.

If you just place the corresponding source along side the mkgmap.jar
file on your server and let interested people know somehow that it is
there that is enough.

But if the source is unaltered from that on mkgmap.org.uk and you just
link there I am not going to mind.

..Steve