logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] one wish for creating a style

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Aug 16 06:42:03 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:06:31PM +0200, Christian H. Bruhn wrote:
>According to [1] you have to add to following line
>[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/style_rules
>
>> {name '${name} (${ref})' | '${ref}' | '${name}'}
>
>if you want to name a street with 'ref' or 'name' or both.
>
>When you have 3 or more tags which could exist, the rule will be very
>complicated.
>
>My wish is that i can give a list of tags and mkgmap adds these, if
>they exist, to the name tag, but don't bother if one or more tags are
>missing.

How would the tags be delimited then?

Have you considered adding |def: to each tag to make them empty when
missing, e.g.,

name '${name|def:},${ref|def:},${operator|def:}'

>This is for mapping purposes. I would like to create a mapping layer in
>which are mostly all information, all tags in the text string of an
>POI.

The maximum string length can be exceeded quite easily. Recently, I
added all routes to my 'routes' style, and ways with multiple
'${route} ${network} ${ref}' can grow very long names, e.g., 'bus hsl
731,bus hsl 742,road E 75' etc. instead of '731,742'. It might be better
to split the information into several layers (maps), one per ${route}
type.  But unfortunately mkgmap cannot currently generate several maps
in one run.

Best regards,

	Marko