logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] bicycle=no on highway=trunk

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Aug 11 10:53:31 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 09:02:11PM +0100, Dave F. wrote:
>> I think that it has to be done on a case-by-case basis. If there is a
>> lesser road nearby, then the default (bicycle=no) is OK. If there is no
>> other practical choice or there is only light traffic on the road
>
>Sorry Marko, but I think you're wrong. bicycle=* should be used to
>indicate the *allowabilty* (based on law) of bicycles to travel down a
>way _not_ the *ability* of it.

OK, I have changed my mind on this, as you could read from my message
yesterday. I now think that adding the bicycle=no to
highway=trunk{,_link} in r1413 in the default style was wrong.

The situation can be somewhat unclear out in the wild too. Technically,
traffic signs that would override the default (area-based) maxspeed and
access properties should be repeated after every junction, but
authorities sometimes omit the signs at minor junctions (bigger than
driveways). Especially some sections of cycleways can be officially
footways when they forget the bicycle signs. I have been adding
bicycle=yes to those that suitable as cycleways by common sense when
there is no designated cycleway across the street, and
bicycle=designated to those that are indicated by traffic signs. I have
also sometimes added bicycle=yes to short sections of footways when it
improves the bicycle routing in junctions.

	Marko