logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Multiple Relations and Admin levels

From Chris Miller chris_overseas at hotmail.com on Wed Aug 11 09:48:26 BST 2010

A good IDE (Integrated Development Environment) will make life a lot easier
for you. It will automatically sync your local source code with the subversion
repository so you can periodically pick up any code updates. You should also
be able to apply patches just by pointing the IDE at the patch file. You
can also build and run the code from within the IDE, so there's very rarely
any need to use a command line. I personally prefer Intellij IDEA, but Eclipse
and Netbeans are also very capable IDEs.

Of course if you haven't done any java development before and aren't familiar
with setting up a java project to work on, there's still quite a big learning
curve and it's possibly too big a topic to cover here. There should be plenty
of online tutorials covering the basics so I'd encourage you to find one
you think looks good and see how you go.

I'm not sure offhand whether any IDE project files (IDE-specific files that
tell the IDE how the project is structured, where the source code lives,
how to build and run the project etc) are checked into svn, but if so that
might make life a bit easier for people just getting started.

Chris