logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Bicycle routing improvements (reverting breakage from r1431)

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Aug 10 14:12:16 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:37:42PM +0200, Valentijn Sessink wrote:
>Marko Mäkelä schreef:
>> I am planning to remove the { add bicycle=no; add foot=no } from
>> highway=trunk and to restore non-bicycle paths to road_speed=0.
>
>I'd suggest you don't. I do not know why bicycle routing differs.
>Adding random patches to my random reports won't help.

It is not totally random. Someone just yelled that defaulting bicycle=no
on highway=trunk is not right, and I cannot disagree with that. If there
is no traffic sign that prohibits bicycles and pedestrians, then they
are allowed. And I haven't seen such traffic signs in Finland, except in
some places when there is a cycleway next to the highway=trunk.

>Please note that r1431 was quite carefully engineered by Felix Hartmann
>(at least, that is what I understood from it), and you shouldn't change
>these back just because I'm yelling something ;-)

The road_speed=1 for a non-bicycle highway=path does not seem to make
too much sense. It may be possible to ride some bicycles on a 20cm wide
unofficial forest path, but not with a bicycle trailer or a
tandem/triplet/quad or at the same speed as on a purpose-built cycleway.
Maybe Felix had too much emphasis on mountain bikers?

>> Do you have test cases in mind? Can you try the attached patch?
>
>I will. But not now.

No hurry, this has (or may have) been broken such a long time :-)

	Marko