logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Bicycle routing improvements (reverting breakage from r1431)

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Aug 10 12:11:13 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:33:43AM +0200, Valentijn Sessink wrote:
>> I seem to remember that someone (Felix?) mentioned that Garmin
>> bicycle routing knows two values of road_speed: zero and nonzero.
>> Before r1431, highway=path and highway=cycleway got different
>> road_speed: 0 and 1, respectively. Starting with r1431, both have
>> road_speed=1. Could that be the source of the breakage?
>
>I thought it was having unclassified roads get road_class 0. But to be
>honest: I never tested. I just rely on r1430 for my bicycle maps. Then
>again, when I cycled from Copenhagen to Amsterdam this summer, I used
>the regular maps and they worked pretty well - in Denmark and Germany,
>that is. So most likely it has something to do with the density of
>bicycle roads, combined with the road class changes.
>
>So please ignore my comments for now - if I have time, I'll try to test
>a more fine grained r1430-1431 change and report my findings.

I am planning to remove the { add bicycle=no; add foot=no } from
highway=trunk and to restore non-bicycle paths to road_speed=0.

Do you have test cases in mind? Can you try the attached patch?

Long term, I would remove the "Convert generic path to most specific"
and translate the highway=(cycleway|footway|bridleway) to highway=path
instead. In that way, we can better keep the access tags intact.

Best regards,

	Marko