logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Foot access on cycleways

From Harri Suomalainen harri.suomalainen at iki.fi on Thu Jul 22 15:46:21 BST 2010

Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> It could be least ambiguous to abandon the highway=cycleway tagging
> altogether and use highway=path instead. JOSM seems to promote this, by
> rendering highway=path, foot=designated, bicycle=designated as
> green-magenta lines.

Changing the road type would not help with the access tagging problem.
You would still wonder if it is generally allowed or not. (Local
regulations might differ on this)

Using path-tag for cycleways would loose some information about the road
type. I think most real paths (where you can cycle) are much different
from real cycleways. I'd assume most paths to be narrow and probably
surface=earth. I'd not assume that for a cycleway.

One solution is to add (missing) restrictions before you add any
allowing tags:
# fill missing tags
highway=* & access=no { add motorcar=no; add bicycle=no; add foot=no }
# add whatever you want to assume
highway=cycway { add bicycle=yes }

--
Harri