logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Suugestion for default style: 660c for island instead of 650c

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Wed Jul 21 08:00:33 BST 2010

Marko Mäkelä (marko.makela at iki.fi) wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 06:53:09PM +0200, Daniela Duerbeck wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> In the german translation in the Oregon "water features" is translated
>> with "Gewässerarten", i.e. "water types". I do not know whether this is
>> the correct translation for "water features" but if, island should IMHO
>> be a land feature not a water feature.
>
> Can you suggest a patch to resources/garmin_feature_list.csv then? It
> describes 0x660c as follows:
>
> point|0x10|0x66|0x0c|natural-land|gut|Gut
>
> Not being a native English speaker, I have no idea what this is supposed
> to mean. A small hill perhaps?

I would say to leave it at 0x650c: there are other items in the 0x65--
series that are not obviously made of water (e.g. sand bar), but which
are located in or near water.  0x650c is listed as "island" by
cGPSmapper, but falls in the "water based" category in Mapsource /
GPS.  I guess it kind of makes sense as an island is in the water.

0x660x is listed by cGPSmapper as "gut" and is adjacent to other land
features like gap, isthmus etc so I assume it means either some sort
of cut-away in the land by the coast, or a promontory into the sea.
As a native English speaker I can't say I've ever heard the term used
in this way, but perhaps it's a specific geographical usage.

--
Charlie