logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Strange strings in addresses (r1654)

From Markus mkgmap.666.brainbug at spamgourmet.org on Sun Jul 18 23:14:14 BST 2010

Hi Daniela,

well, lack of understanding regarding a particular programming
language is a valid excuse. I really don't want to raise a
discussion on that (which already happens on any mailinglist I know once
in a while anyway).

I just noticed that over the last couple of years, the perception of 'open
source' changed very much. To me (and most people I know), it always meant being able to
contribute in kind of a hands-on approach. However with the more
widespread use of open source systems, people tend to remain pure users, expecting the free usage of software as kind of a natural right, without an indication to take efforts in giving something back.

I'm aware that this might be my view on the issue only. I just feel in a project like this one, where the developer count is low, a solution (or an approach thereof) in code is way quicker than involving developers unnecessarily.

However, there's nothing to say against everyone contributing along her/his abilities. Precise bug reports are still a very helpful thing.

All the best,
/Markus