logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Routing

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Tue Jul 13 18:15:41 BST 2010

Mikey,

this is a long outstanding problem of mkgmap. We don't know the exact
file format of the garmin maps. Some parts of this format have been
reverse engineered but the address search is not yet working reliably.
We need some ideas what mkgmap is doing wrong here, so if you are
interested in reverse engineering of an unknown file format have fun and
start now :-)

mkgmap developers decided to disable address search by default unless it
is working reliably. I don't know if it is possible to generate an
gmapsupp.img containing address search. But you can add the --index
parameter to mkgmap so that the relevant .MDR and .MDX files are
generated. These files can be used by MapSource's address search.

To anyone: Please correct me if I am wrong :-)

Have fun!
WanMil