logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] New, faster splitter

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Jun 9 11:54:48 BST 2010

Hello Chris,

>I've just checked in r111 which enables osm data to be read from stdin.
>For it to work, the following three conditions must be met:
>
>  1) there must be no osm files specified as parameters
>  2) a valid --cache parameter must be supplied
>  3) there must not be an existing cache from a previous run
>
>eg (with an empty cache dir): java -Xmx4000m -jar splitter.jar --cache=cache
>< united_kingdom.osm

Thanks, I am trying it out now. This warning seems redundant for this
use case:

* WARNING: No valid existing cache found but caching was requested. *

Because I am processing the input several times, for additional layers,
I added "tee" to the pipe for writing the uncompressed output:

rm -fr splitter-cache
bzip2 -dc "$OSM_BZ2"|
perl -e ...|
tee "$OSM"|
$JAVACMD $JAVACMD_OPTIONS -jar splitter.jar --split-file=areas.list \
--cache=splitter-cache

It would be nice if mkgmap could produce several layers in a single pass
or if the multipolygon processing could be disabled. My script continues
like this (simplified):

java -jar mkgmap.jar --transparent --style=control "$OSM"
java -jar mkgmap.jar --transparent --style=routes "$OSM"
java -jar mkgmap.jar -c mkgmap.args # processing the split tiles
java -jar mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp *.img

The "control" and "routes" maps are very sparse, so they can cover the
entire country. I would generate all layers from the same tiles if
mkgmap could produce several *.img with one parsing of the *.osm tile
(using different output styles).

The "control" and "routes" styles only generate points or lines, no
polygons. Could we disable relation=multipolygon processing when there
are no polygons defined in the style?

	Marko