logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] New, faster splitter

From Chris Miller chris_overseas at hotmail.com on Tue Jun 8 21:04:22 BST 2010

Hello Marko,

> I would appreciate that, because I have to do some preprocessing
> (moving end nodes of the coastline to the tile boundary, deleting
> auto-generated bad multipolygons) after decompressing the osm file.
> The sed or perl filter could sit between bzip2 and splitter, and all
> three processes could run in parallel.

I've just checked in r111 which enables osm data to be read from stdin. For
it to work, the following three conditions must be met:

  1) there must be no osm files specified as parameters
  2) a valid --cache parameter must be supplied
  3) there must not be an existing cache from a previous run

eg (with an empty cache dir): java -Xmx4000m -jar splitter.jar --cache=cache
< united_kingdom.osm

If you supply osm files or an existing cache, they'll be used as input instead
and stdin will be ignored. If no cache directory is specified, stdin can't
be used because it's not possible to perform the second pass - there wouldn't
be any data to read.

Hopefully that makes sense (and I've tried to provide clear log messages
explaining what's going on), but if anything's not clear or you think of
a way to improve it, please let me know.

Chris