logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] New, faster splitter

From Chris Miller chris_overseas at hotmail.com on Tue Jun 8 08:11:23 BST 2010

Hello Felix,

> How long does it take to uncompress with bunzip or p7zip? I suppose
> uncompressing with external program beforehand is still faster, or has
> this switched around now? (until now, for me uncompressing with p7zip
> the geofabrik extracts and then running mkgmap with no cache on small
> countries, with cache on larger countries was the fastest way to
> do..).

I haven't tried benchmarking that before sorry so I don't really know. Any
numbers you might have would be appreciated.

One thing I want to add is the ability to pipe the osm file in via stdin,
which (depending on OS buffering) will allow external decompression at the
same time as processing and it might prove to be the fastest approach. It
will certainly be more reliable - I've seen the Java bz2 decompression fail
with strange errors a few times now due to bugs in the Apache Java decompression
code.

Chris