logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Garmin Car SatNav recommendations

From Hendrik Oesterlin hendrikmail2002 at yahoo.de on Sat Jun 5 04:20:44 BST 2010

"garvan&maew" garvan.maew at online.com.kh wrote on 05/06/2010 at 11:34:21 +1100
subject "[mkgmap-dev] Garmin Car SatNav recommendations" :

> I have not had problems with any GARMIN device I tried (eTrex, nuvi &
> GPS60 series) displaying my maps. The default color schemes are
> different on some devices, but that is about it.

I have an nüvi 755 and it works fine with mkgmap

> These are my buying tips:
> If buying a nuvi, check to make sure it has an off road setting in
> "Route Preferences", so you can switch off the "jump to nearest road"
> feature, and use the device for recording new roads.

You can also activate the tracklog feature as describet here:
http://www.gpspassion.com/upload2/HiddenTrackLogHowTo.pdf
This is even more precise as it records one point per second.

> If buying a hand-held GPS (like the eTrex or GPS60) make sure it has
> external storage for loading large maps, and that it supports automatic
> routing (my eTrex does not support routing but the eTrex Vista HCx does,
> so be careful).

I have heared that the GPSMAP 60 HCX does perform well with mkgmap,
but I did not try it by myself.

--
Sincerely
Hendrik Oesterlin - email hendrikmail2002 at yahoo.de