logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Really Serious bug when not using --route

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Mon May 31 14:09:20 BST 2010

On 31.05.2010 15:05, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> Hi
>

>> A possible way to find the flag:
>> With MapSource (at least with 6.13) it is possible to include or exclude
>> the routing data when transferring to the device. If you transfer the
>> same data twice, one time with, the ther time without the routing data,
>>
> A great idea!
>
> Unfortunately my results are that all the sub-files are unaltered
> and bit for bit identical in the two cases.
>
> All the changes in the header appear to be consistent with the changes
> required for the fact that the files are different sizes and one
> does not contain NOD.
>
> I've had no luck with finding anything.  I've tried unsetting all the
> flags that we don't know the meaning of, so it seems that it might
> not be a simple flag that we always set but shouldn't.
>
> Perhaps mixing routable and non-routeable maps with the same family id
> just doesn't work?  Has anyone seen a working example?

Yes I mixed the Garmin Topo Austria v1 (non routable) with mkgmap
routable maps, and the errors did not occur. The flag is properly really
well hidden.

I think mkgmap should simply default to always write the NOD index file,
also if --route is not given. That's not the best solution, but better
than breaking down new GPS (and all Oregon/Dakota/Colorado have now beta
Firmware that is probably prone to crash with non routable mkgmap
created maps).