logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Really Serious bug when not using --route

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Wed May 26 22:52:28 BST 2010

On 26.05.2010 23:40, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:

>> already inflicting Mapsource 6.16.1 and Basecamp 3.
>
> OK so I upgraded to 6.16.1, had to upgrade twice to get there.
>
>> This means that also if you compile maps that are not routable, you have
>> to pass the --route parameter. Else the GPS / Mapsource looks into an
>> empty NOD table and may crash. This will happen as soon as you mix
>> routable maps with the non routable mkgmap created maps.
>
> Now how exactly do I reproduce the problem?
> I've not been able to.
You need to combine two different maps of the same area (so most often
one being contourlines) into the same mapset (meaning same tdb/overview
image/mdr/....).
Then whenever you route to an object that is inside the nonroutable map
(i.e. the contourlines), Mapsource will not calculate the route but stop
with:

-- Basecamp 3 will even outright get into a loop you can only escape by
closing it via task-manager  (don't ask me what happens if you use it
via WINE)

If you want, here is a beta map that you could install that shows the
behaviour (install from d:/garmin/0mtb/mtbaustria1/ as the location is
hardcoded inside the bat and the path is set for x64 windows, or
exchange it with texteditor to your liking, or simply register the maps
with Mapsettoolkit or by hand):
run both install* .bat files, one will install without contourlines
(correct routing), and one with broken routen (*srtm*).
http://openmtbmap.x-nation.de/maps/beta/mtbaustria.7z.zip
and here a route that will show the error:
http://openmtbmap.x-nation.de/maps/beta/Broken_route.zip

Sometimes it does not happen, but usually it does, it seems to depend
how much other information that is routable is nearby. As to what I am
told by Garmin, all future Firmwares will show the same behaviour, even
worse, just having an activated mkgmap created map created without
--route is then may be enough to crash the GPS.

If you rebuild the 7*.img files (the contourlines) with --route, than
the problem is worked around. (to rebuilt just open the *.img with
gpsmapedit, save as MP, and recompile with mkgmap).