logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Really Serious bug when not using --route

From NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de on Tue May 25 13:28:14 BST 2010

Felix Hartmann wrote:

> Routable maps are in no way bigger than non routable maps (if there is
> no routable information inside, of course if you use the same style that
> is routable and compile it without --route it gets smaller, if you
> remove all road_class and road_speed from style, there is virtually no
> size difference).

This is not what I have observed. Using a style that does not have any route
info, accidentially activating --route caused it to grow significantly.
Maybe there is a different explanation, but until the reason is clear, I
must assume that a compulsory --route would cause the same.

Felix Hartmann wrote:
>  Lazyness shouldn't break stuff. And continuing with
> this problem is no option, as the newest Oregon Firmware and all future
> Firmwares for other devices will crash too.

So if you're bulding for an Oregon and if you use the latest updates, you
need to specify --route.

This is no reason to force the owners of all other devices to do this, too.
Especially if you break the building of maps for older devices this way.

A sensible solution would be to either fix the problem for good by removing
those flags or introduce a new parameter/default behaviour that just creates
an empty version of the required block with less side effects than a global
--route.

bye
             Nop