logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Really Serious bug when not using --route

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Tue May 25 11:03:11 BST 2010

On 25.05.2010 11:58, NopMap wrote:

> Felix Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Only solution I think is to make --route default and
>> compulsory for the moment. Else people will create maps that havoc other
>> maps without realising.
>>

> I strongly advice against this. The problem has been around a very long time
> and nobody noticed, so I don't think it is that critical. The workaround is
> simple: Do not use the latest version of MS/BC until the problem is fixed.
>
> On the other hand, routable maps seem to be much larger than non-routable
> maps. If you change the behaviour of mkgamp there you can break things by
> enlarging the maps so they do not fit into the memory they used previously.
> If the map is tailored to fit an 1GB SD card, it will no longer. There are
> older devices that have a limited amount of built-in memory and you might
> make maps unusable that now are fitting into the devices.
>
> In short: I think a compulsory change would break more than it helps right
> now.
>
> bye
>              Nop

Routable maps are in no way bigger than non routable maps (if there is
no routable information inside, of course if you use the same style that
is routable and compile it without --route it gets smaller, if you
remove all road_class and road_speed from style, there is virtually no
size difference). Lazyness shouldn't break stuff. And continuing with
this problem is no option, as the newest Oregon Firmware and all future
Firmwares for other devices will crash too.