logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Really Serious bug when not using --route

From NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de on Tue May 25 10:58:34 BST 2010

Felix Hartmann wrote:

> Only solution I think is to make --route default and
> compulsory for the moment. Else people will create maps that havoc other
> maps without realising.

I strongly advice against this. The problem has been around a very long time
and nobody noticed, so I don't think it is that critical. The workaround is
simple: Do not use the latest version of MS/BC until the problem is fixed.

On the other hand, routable maps seem to be much larger than non-routable
maps. If you change the behaviour of mkgamp there you can break things by
enlarging the maps so they do not fit into the memory they used previously.
If the map is tailored to fit an 1GB SD card, it will no longer. There are
older devices that have a limited amount of built-in memory and you might
make maps unusable that now are fitting into the devices.

In short: I think a compulsory change would break more than it helps right
now.

bye
            Nop