logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Transliteration of persian and arabic script

From Carlos Dávila cdavilam at jemila.jazztel.es on Tue May 18 19:53:34 BST 2010

El 18/05/10 20:23, Marko Mäkelä escribió:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 07:39:54PM +0200, Johann Gail wrote:
>
>> The transliteration is for sure done in mkgmap and not in the garmin
>> unit. But don't ask me details, where and how it happens.
>>
> Right. If someone could supply some details, I could submit some
> patches. It would be nice to translate curly quotes to ' or ", because
> Garmin doesn't seem to support those cp1252 code points.
>
> Also, if it is not already the case, we should translate Roman numerals
> and other non-ASCII Unicode numerals into ASCII. At least around here,
> there are road signs that say "Ring Ⅲ", but the way currently carries
> the name "Ring III" and Garmin displays it as "Ring Iii". (I think I
> read somewhere that there is a control code that prevents the Garmin
> lower-casing.) How hard would it be to translate strings into strings,
> say, "ⅯⅯⅨ" into "2009"?

I think Roman numbers should be displayed as upper case roman number, at
least when they are part of a ref or name. If you have always seen a
street name as, say "Juan XXIII" it may be difficult to recognize it as
"Juan 23". For dates it could be better to translate into Arabic numbers
as you propose.