logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Change mkgmap default options to make mkgmap more userfriendly

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Fri Apr 30 14:27:55 BST 2010

On 30.04.2010 15:22, Greg Troxel wrote:
> so we really need a tag for typical_speed, because you're saying that
> speed limits and typical speeds are not all that well correlated.  This
> is not really about mkgmap.

Well of course. What I'm saying is that taking maxspeed to set the
road_speed in mkgmap, makes no sense at all. Actually typical speed is
not needed, because a clever style-file can guestimate the typical speed
very well (except rush hour and night). I think the maxspeed treatment
is important, but it has to depend on the type of road. Knowing maxspeed
is 80km/h or higher, enables us to be certain we look at a highway
outside of a city-limit, which of course will have higher typical speed
than a highway inside city limits - so maxspeed is very important in
assesing the map data. However it is useless for using to directly set
the road_speed (in NT maps, Garmin is using a seperate maxspeed, while
the road_speed is supposed to keep care of typical speed).