logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Change mkgmap default options to make mkgmap more userfriendly

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Fri Apr 30 13:25:57 BST 2010

On 30.04.2010 14:16, Greg Troxel wrote:
>    For most people understanding which mkgmap options they should choose,
>    is not easy - as one first needs to have quite thorough
>    understanding. I think in general useful options should be the default
>    - and not stick for ages to old behavior. I'm afraid I make to many
>    mistakes if I change it myself, but I would propose the following
>    default option changes:
>
> Agreed in general.  I have a file of lots of options that I always use.
> I don't think compatibility with old behavior is that important.
>
>    --ignore-maxspeeds (the current handling sucks, If we would change
>
> I don't understand this; it seems simple to map maxspeed on ways to
> garmin road speed but obviously I don't really understand :-)

Well because it has nothing to do with the speed on can actually drive.

a highway=residential & maxspeed=80 will be treated like a
highway=motorroad & maxspeed=80, even though the average speed on a
motorroad will be much higher. The maxspeeds should depend on the road
type, and that is only doable by changing the style. Also actually
link-pois-to-areas and including speed priority/speed reductions for
highway=traffic_symbol, highway=stop and so on should be included in the
default style/options because it will lead to much more realistic time
estimates, shorter routes (there are some garmin logic reasons why this
will work out), and faster arrival times in reality with much better
estimated arrival times. Also much better routing over long distances (I
was able to route from Vienna to Brest on my etrex with a testmap -
default style will not even get me 1/3 of the distance before running
out of memory). Currently the estimated arrival times are only working
more or less, because the time penalties for turning are much higher
than in reality.