logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Description text

From Daniela Duerbeck daniela.duerbeck at gmx.de on Sat Apr 17 01:21:46 BST 2010

Felix Hartmann wrote:

> On 17.04.2010 01:06, Daniela Duerbeck wrote:
>> Felix Hartmann wrote:
>>> And don't forget - there is only a certain range of POI where the
>>> additional address/info field is usable on Garmin GPS/Mapsource. For
>>> the vast majority of POI those fields are not usable - hence no need
>>> to add any additional information to them (except if your usage is
>>> mainly Qlandkarte GT).
>>>
>> But the address information is just added if there is an address
>> information. All other POIs get just the info text that there is no
>> address.
> Well because for what I can see, we put on probably 60% of POI
> information, that cannot be used. This is a waste of space.
>
> This is a list I found somewhere on the internet - showing for which
> POI (unluckily not in 0xcode but in names so one has to know what
> Garmin uses for them) can take additional information:

<snipped>

I think you do not understand completely: What you posted is the Garmin
point of view.
In the osm maps simply each POI that has no address information gets:
"Fix my address". Read the source, Luke.
If you want to put other information into it you'd have to expand the
code in POIRecord.java. And this is IMHO not easily be done.But feel free.
Easier to implement for Java newbies could be to violate the street info
(if it is not there) to something other.
Then you just have to add a few methods in three Java files. Do it for
test reasons, if you like. Please tell afterwards what you think about
this strategy.

Dani