logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Recycling menu items in the Oregon

From Daniela Duerbeck daniela.duerbeck at gmx.de on Sat Apr 17 00:41:32 BST 2010

Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> In Reykjavik, why not? :-)

OK, you are right, but the problem is, that Garmin just offers a few
menu items and everyone can choose what he thinks that is useful for
him. So everyone must recycle these items that are not useful for him or
her.

The truckstop item is good since it is just a subset of fuel in the osm
world. I also recycled convenience store since this means fuel stations
with shop. In Germany nearly every fuel station has also a shop, but
nearly none is tagged so.

I also do not understand the choice which shops are essential.
You have e.g. the possibility to find the next shop that sells furniture.
But at home you do not need the next shop that sells it, normally you
know where it is, have an address and just want to navigate to it.
And in holidays you normally do not want to find the next furniture shop.

But you could try to find the next bakery or the next butcher. But
Garmin thinks that this is not necessary so they gave them no menu item.
But they spent an item for computer stores.

For me it seems to be so that in the former times some developers made a
brainstorming what items are useful, then they wrote them down and now
this choice will remain forever inside the units.

So no bakeries, no butchers and no greengrocers.

But I wonder why no extra item for the next pizza delivery was created,
I mean, they must eat something, or not?

Dani