logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Description text

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Apr 15 21:50:20 BST 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 01:02:08PM +0200, Minko wrote:
>I have been experimenting to 'fool' my Garmin to use addr:streetname etc for
>some other information and this trick worked.

Is the addr:* translation currently hardcoded in mkgmap? Where is it?
I found one oddity last year: addr:housenumber='12-14' (should
probably be 12;14 in the OSM notation) was displayed as "12 Apt 4" if
I remember correctly. Also, I find the English-style order of
"housenumber street" and "city zip" backwards. To my knowledge,
continental Europe uses "street housenumber" and "zip city".

I think that the correct way to implement the translation would be via the
style file. The style file would compose a mkgmap:description from the
addr:*, phone, opening_hours, website, url, description and whatnot, based on
the type of the POI as needed.  Are there any fixed fields, such as phone
number encoded in some special format?

	Marko