logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] add-poi-to-areas: What, if there is already a poi?

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Fri Apr 9 12:00:24 BST 2010

Daniela Duerbeck (daniela.duerbeck at gmx.de) wrote:

> charlie at cferrero.net wrote:
>>

> I do not think that they are pointless. If a forest has a name, why
> shouldn't it get a POI?

Because it already gets a polygon with a name - I can't believe that
many people think "Hmmm, I wonder where the nearest forest/pond is -
I'll do a POI search?".  On the other hand, they'll often think "I
wonder where the nearest supermarket is" and if the supermarket is an
area and the map wasn't compiled with --add-pois-to-areas, they won't
find the supermarket.  This is happening increasingly as POIs are
converted to areas in OSM.

In any case, if you could control which polygons also got POIs, then
people who like searching for the nearest graveyard or field can do
that.  And those that don't, don't have to have their maps littered
with POI icons that they don't want in order to get the POIs they do
want.

> But I do not understand, is why e.g. I do not get a POI for:
>     <tag k='area' v='yes'/>
>     <tag k='name' v='Wisent'/>
>     <tag k='tourism' v='attraction'/>
>
> but one for:
>     <tag k='building' v='yes'/>
>     <tag k='name' v='Villa Dracula'/>
>     <tag k='tourism' v='attraction'/>

It may be because you don't have an area=yes rule in your polygons
style file, but you do have a building=yes rule.

--
Charlie