logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] State of the coastline art

From NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de on Wed Mar 31 08:08:40 BST 2010

Hi!

I am working on sea polygons once again. After reading through the many
generate-sea-related topics I am still not sure what the current state of
the art is on the matter.

- What is the current recommended command line option/combination that works
for you? What other techniques do you need? I have e.g. read about manual
adjustions to the data in some posts. Or did it not work for your area at
all?

- What level of confidence do you achieve with generate sea? Many posts
still mention minor failures, disappearing islands etc.

- Is it possible to save the resulting sea/land polygons for later re-use?
Apparently the OSM data changes more frequently than the actual coastline
and re-generating it from scratch every time you update is not necessary. It
would be helpful to keep the sea data around, especially if you had to do
manual adjustments to create it. But I have not read about such a feature.
Did I miss something?

thanks

              Nop