logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Shuttle-Train

From Chris-Hein Lunkhusen chris66nrw at gmx.de on Thu Mar 25 17:22:12 GMT 2010

> The german island Sylt can only be reached (for cars) on the
> shuttle train (www.syltshuttle.de).
>
> So for now our maps can't route to sylt, because we don't
> route over railway=rail (even if it's tagged with motorcar=yes).
>
> If I look to my Nüvi with Garmin City-Navigator Map, the way
> looks different than a normal rail-line, so garmin seems
> to have a special data type for this kind of connection.
>
> So, how to handle this? Should we add a rule to the
> default style to route cars over railway=rail if
> it is tagged additionaly with motorcar=yes ?

I played a little bit and have found that it is not sufficient
to map railway=rail + motorcar=yes to a routable garmin way.

Because the car on the train can leave the train on
every railway_crossing (crossings of railways with highways).

:-)

So I see 2 solutions:

Map this beast with a new way (railway=shuttle or something
like that). What is the correct english translation
for this kind of trains transporting cars?

Or implement a mkgmap option to unglue railway_crossings.

Chris